27 September 2007

I am just sick (and tired!)

One fine day, I sat and read about 120 talkback posts on ZDNet, most of them from people who will NEVER use Vista, whether because they use Linux (which is fine) or because they use Macs (which is *gasp* also fine). I've come to believe that the truth of the matter is that the vast majority of run of the mill computer users will buy a Vista box, turn it on, and have no, if any, issues.

My XP box terminally fried (Motherboard issue) on Vista release day. I had to buy a new box that day because of deadlines for a graphic design commission (Yes, Adobe CS2 on a Vista box) and, truthfully, I was dreadfully afraid of what kind of experience I was going to have. Now it's August, and I just bought a new Vista laptop, and in the whole time that I've had my two machines, I've had NO blue screens of death, Adobe suites run great, the two boxes network over a hybrid wired/wireless network just fine...

I am a geek. There. I've said it. I've got MCSA, A+, Net+ certifications. Both of my boxes are dual boot with Ubuntu because I want to keep my skills alive on Linux/Unix, and it's fun. I've built many boxes in my time, but marriage and a new baby make for less money to spend on the fun builds, so my last two desktops were HP's.

Did I mention, I've had few, to no, issues?

HP, Dell, Acer, Gateway - all those guys did just what the author of the post in question did, they just did it from a different stand point - make it work right, for a reasonable price, rather than necessarily the best functionality and "Windows Experience Scores".

Linux is clean, fast and free. As in free speech, people, not free beer. Okay, kinda. That comes with a feeling of freedom that's indescribable, but on the other hand, if you have an issue, you better hope there's someone out there who can fix it, 'cause there's not a 'manufacturer' who will do it for you. To some people, myself included, that's a small price to pay.

Apple, in my opinion, is a small monopoly. One company manufactures, codes, produces... At least Microsoft doesn't make the hardware (okay, there's the Xbox and 360, but c'mon...) I don't build anymore, but that's not because I can't. Oh, did I mention I can afford to have a machine that still runs CS2 happily - and well enough for a freelance designer to do WORK on?

Bottom line, every box has its strengths and its weaknesses. Linux, Mac, Windows, who cares. 75% (I would hazard a guess) of the people with computers out there are using them for 3, maybe 4 purposes - Email, Web, Music, and word processing et al. - that are truly platform non specific.

Can't we all just get along?

No comments: